The Serve & Protect Reimbursement Program is a program to help offset the costs of routine medical exams for both paid, full-time firefighters and law enforcement officers.
WSI is committed to ensuring North Dakota workplaces are free from preventable injuries and accidents. By partnering with employers on this program, we are not only fulfilling that commitment but also safeguarding those who serve and protect the citizens of North Dakota.
For more information, contact the program specialist at 800-777-5033 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employers with an active account who are in good standing with WSI and employ full-time firefighters and/or full-time law enforcement officers (see NDCC § 65-01-15.1.4 for definition of law enforcement officer.)
Employers participating in this program are eligible for a maximum reimbursement amount up to $250 per employee (see NDCC § 65-01-15.1.3.a).
As part of the statutory requirements, an employer is required to pay for a medical exam at no expense to the employee. The medical exam schedule is based on continuous years of service as a paid, full-time firefighter or law enforcement officer regardless of where the service occurred.
The medical exam schedule is:
- Upon hire
- 1 to 10 years of service, medical exam every 5 years
- 11 to 20 years of service, medical exam every 3 years
- 21 or more years of service, medical exam every year
WSI will reimburse an employer up to $250 maximum per employee based on the 1) employer’s paid invoice to a clinic or physician, or 2) an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) and proof of payment.
- Employer pays the clinic or physician directly and the cost of the medical exam is $400; WSI will reimburse $250.
- Employer has reimbursed an employee based on an EOB and proof of payment for the cost of the medical exam; WSI will reimburse the employer up to a maximum of $250.
WSI will not reimburse for:
- Medical exams prior to September 1, 2023
- Follow-up testing or additional medical appointments
- Costs covered by the employee’s health insurance
WSI will accept one of the following as supporting documentation.
- Copy of the paid invoice and proof of payment for medical exam (ex. cleared check, billing statement, or credit card receipt). The invoice must include the provider’s name, location, and telephone number; employee’s name; date of medical exam; and dollar amount.
- Copy of the EOB and proof of payment if employer reimbursed the employee for the cost of the medical exam.
Once WSI processes the request, payment will be issued within 3 weeks.
For WSI to pay an employer, the employer must have a Supplier ID with the state of North Dakota. To obtain a Supplier ID visit https://www.omb.nd.gov/doing-business-state/procurement/register-payee. For questions regarding registration, contact the Vendor Registry Help Desk at email@example.com.