Prior to reimbursement for a medical service, a provider must complete the Medical Provider Payee Registration form to register with WSI. The provider registration establishes a provider's payment, correspondence, and medical record information.
Below are important elements a provider should be aware of when completing the provider registration:
WSI considers a provider to be an entity which provides a medical service to an injured employee and utilizes a billing National Provider Identifier (NPI). The following types of providers are required to register with WSI:
- Ambulatory Surgical Center (ASC)
- Chiropractic Clinic
- Clinical Medical Laboratory
- Durable Medical Equipment (DME) Vendor
- Dental Clinic
- Hearing Clinic
- Hearing Air Vendor
- Home Health
- In Home Supportive Care
- Massage Therapy Clinic
- Medical Supply Vendor
- Mental Health Clinic
- Nursing and Custodial Care Facility
- Optometry Clinic
- Physical/Occupational Therapy Clinic
- Podiatry Clinic
- Prosthetic/Orthotic Supplier
- Radiology/MRI Clinic
- Speech Therapy Clinic
A provider must submit a single Medical Provider Payee Registration form for each business National Provider Identifier (NPI) used to bill WSI. Refer to the following chart to understand the action required based on a practice's NPI billing structure:
|Practice NPI Billing Structure||Required Action|
|Sole proprietor that has a type 1 billing NPI||Submit a single Medical Provider Payee Registration form|
|Single practice location that has a single type 2 billing NPI||Submit a single Medical Provider Payee Registration form|
|Multiple practice locations that share a single type 2 billing NPI||Submit a single Medical Provider Payee Registration form|
|Multiple practice locations that each have a unique type 2 billing NPI||Submit a single Medical Provider Payee Registration form for each NPI|
The following are main elements pertaining to how WSI sets up a medical provider payee account:
- WSI utilizes the Taxpayer Identification Number and the billing NPI as the main identifiers to set up a medical provider payee account.
- WSI sets up a single medical provider payee account for each unique billing NPI, regardless of the number of service locations that share this same NPI.
- WSI expects the billing NPI registered to be submitted in Box 33a of the CMS-1500, Box 56 of the UB-04, or in the corresponding 837P and 837I fields for electronic billing.
A provider must supply, on the Medical Provider Payee Registration form, demographic information for the primary practice location and additional service locations where an injured employee covered by WSI may receive services. WSI relies on this information to correspond with the practice and individual providers associated with the practice on matters unrelated to payment.
A provider must supply, on the Medical Provider Payee Registration form, demographic information to indicate where WSI should send a request for a medical record. WSI assumes the information supplied is applicable to both the primary practice and all service locations that share the same billing National Provider Identifier (NPI), unless a provider notifies WSI otherwise.