Prior to receiving reimbursement for a medical service, a provider must complete the Medical Provider Payee Registration form to register with WSI. The provider registration establishes a provider's payment, correspondence, and medical record information.
Below are important elements a provider should be aware of when completing the provider registration.
WSI considers a provider to be an entity which provides a medical service to an injured employee and utilizes a billing National Provider Identifier (NPI). The following types of providers must register with WSI:
- Ambulatory Surgical Center (ASC)
- Chiropractic Clinic
- Clinical Medical Laboratory
- Durable Medical Equipment (DME) Vendor
- Dental Clinic
- Hearing Clinic
- Hearing Air Vendor
- Home Health
- In Home Supportive Care
- Massage Therapy Clinic
- Medical Supply Vendor
- Mental Health Clinic
- Nursing and Custodial Care Facility
- Optometry Clinic
- Physical/Occupational Therapy Clinic
- Podiatry Clinic
- Prosthetic/Orthotic Supplier
- Radiology/MRI Clinic
- Speech Therapy Clinic
WSI requires a Medical Provider Payee Registration form for each group/billing National Provider Identifier (NPI) used to bill WSI. An individual rendering provider associated with the practice does not need to submit a separate registration. Refer to the following chart for registration guidance based on NPI billing structure.
|NPI Billing Structure||Required Action|
|Sole proprietor with a type 1 billing NPI||Submit a single Medical Provider Payee Registration form|
|Single practice location with a type 2 billing NPI||Submit a single Medical Provider Payee Registration form|
|Multiple practice locations share a single type 2 billing NPI||Submit a single Medical Provider Payee Registration form|
|Multiple practice locations with unique type 2 billing NPIs||Submit a Medical Provider Payee Registration form for each unique billing NPI|
The following are the main elements pertaining to how WSI sets up a medical provider payee account:
- WSI utilizes the Taxpayer Identification Number and the billing NPI as the main identifiers.
- WSI sets up a single medical provider payee account for each unique billing NPI, regardless of the number of service locations sharing this same NPI.
- WSI expects a provider submit the registered billing NPI registered to be submitted in Box 33a of the CMS-1500, Box 56 of the UB-04, or in the corresponding 837P and 837I fields for electronic billing.
On the Medical Provider Payee Registration form, a provider must supply demographic information for the primary practice location and additional service locations where an injured employee covered by WSI may receive services. WSI relies on this information to correspond with the practice and individual providers associated with the practice on matters unrelated to payment.
On the Medical Provider Payee Registration form, a provider must supply demographic information to indicate where WSI should send a request for a medical record. WSI assumes the information supplied is applicable to both the primary practice and all service locations sharing the same billing National Provider Identifier (NPI) unless a provider notifies WSI otherwise.