There's an injury, now what?

If the injury is life-threatening, go to the nearest emergency room. In all other cases, report the injury to your employer.


Online: Complete the First Report of Injury (FROI)

Fax: complete the FROI form and fax it to WSI at 701-328-3820 or 888-786-8695

Mail: PO Box 5585, Bismarck, ND 58506-5585

Call us at 800-777-5033 with questions

In an emergency:

  • Go to the nearest emergency room
  • Tell the medical provider that your injury is a work-related injury
  • Report the injury to your employer as soon as possible

In all other cases:

  • Let your employer know you have been injured and ask for a list of Designated Medical Providers (DMP)
    • If you treat with your own medical provider, it may result in medical benefits not being covered
  • If your company does not have a DMP, you may treat with a medical provider of your choice

Tell your medical provider that the injury is a workers' compensation injury and to send the medical records to WSI. The earlier WSI receives medical records, the earlier a decision can be made on the claim.

WSI encourages employers to go with employees when seeking medical care. They will gain a better understanding of recommended work restrictions, which may lead to being able to better accommodate restrictions and to provide a safe return to work for employee.

After all medical appointments, provide your employer with the Capability Assessment form (C3). The C3 form will include the nature and extent of the injury, estimated course of recovery, and a return-to-work plan including identified restrictions, if needed.

All claims must be filed within one year after an injury or within two years after a death. The date of injury is the first date that a reasonable person knew or should have known that a work-related injury occurred.

Report all on-the-job injuries to your employer immediately, even if you do not feel it is important to see a medical provider. By reporting your injury immediately, you may alert your employer to a potential hazard.

You have the right to file a claim for a work-related injury. It is against the law for your employer to harass, discharge, and refuse to hire, or, in any instance, discriminate against you for exercising your rights under the Workers’ Compensation or Occupational Diseases Acts. You may report this type of conduct displayed by an employer to the North Dakota Department of Labor for their review.