WSI’s Ergonomic Initiative Grant Program provides employers resources, including financial assistance, to address ergonomic issues. The purpose of the program is to reduce or eliminate cumulative-type injuries at the workplace. What typically begins as minor aches or pains, if ignored, has potential to develop into costly claims.
The Ergonomic Initiative Grant Program consists of two parts; the Ergonomic Initiative Program and the Ergonomic Grant Program. The initiative program needs to be completed before an employer can be eligible for grant program
Ergonomic Initiative Program
WSI provides financial assistance for provider services under this program. WSI pays 75% of the provider fees and the employer pays 25%. The provider’s work and services will vary depending on the needs of the employer. Factors that determine the work and services include the number of employees, number of job classifications, type of work performed, and claims trends history (frequency and severity).
The provider’s visit may include:
- An ergonomic assessment to identify potential or existing problems
- Ergonomic recommendations and interventions
- Assistance with selecting appropriate ergonomic equipment
- Ergonomic education and training
Ergonomic Grant Program
WSI provides financial assistance for an employer to purchase ergonomic equipment. The provider must recommend the equipment in the ergonomic assessment which is completed in the initiative program.
Financial Assistance Eligibility Chart
|Standard Premium||Max Award|
|$250 - $5,000||$5,000|
|$5,001 - $20,000||$10,000|
|$20,001 - $50,000||$15,000|
|$50,001 - $150,000||$20,000|
|$150,001 - $300,000||$30,000|
|$300,001 and above||$50,000|
The Ergonomic Initiative Program is available to any employer:
- Who has an active WSI policy with employees or has selected optional coverage on the account.
WSI encourages employers to participate in this program to ensure ergonomic concerns are being addressed.
The Ergonomic Grant Program is available to any employer:
- Is in "good standing" with WSI
- Completed the Ergonomic Initiative Program
The employer must follow the following steps to be eligible for the Ergonomic Initiative Grant Program.
- The employer completes the Ergonomic Initiative Employer Application online using WSI’s portal, myWSI.
- Access to the Ergonomic Initiative Employer Application is granted to your organization’s myWSI Account Administrator.
- If you do not have access to myWSI, contact your organization’s myWSI Account Administrator or WSI’s Customer Service at 800-777-5033 or email email@example.com.
- WSI will approve or deny the application and the employer (all correspondence will be through myWSI).
- If approved, WSI will provide the employer a list of providers to choose from to conduct the on-site visit.
- The provider conducts the on-site visit and provides the employer with a final assessment. The employer is now eligible to apply for financial assistance.
- To apply for the financial assistance, the employer must complete the Ergonomic Grant Application.
- Once WSI approves the grant application, and both parties sign the agreement, then the employer may purchase the equipment.
- Equipment ordered, funds expended, or invoices dated prior to the agreement effective date are not eligible for reimbursement under this program.
- Once the employer receives the equipment, they are eligible to submit the Ergonomic Grant Reimbursement Request form. The request must include the invoice(s) and proof of payment.
WSI has a network of contracted providers throughout North Dakota. This network is comprised of experienced healthcare professionals, primarily occupational and physical therapists, well versed in the field of ergonomics.