nd.gov - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends
Workforce Safety & Insurance Logo Top of the page place holder

Contact Us       About Us       News       Careers       Calendar       Free e-Newsletter       RFI/RFP       Links       Site Map      
spacer image
gray hexagon imagespacer imageForms/Library 
red hexagon imagespacer imageEmployers 
orange hexagon imagespacer imageWorkers yellow hexagon imagespacer imageMedical Providers 
green hexagon imagespacer imageSafety & Loss Control 
purple hexagon imagespacer imageOnline Services 
tan hexagon imagespacer imageFraud Awareness 
spacer imageHOME 

Good Evening
6:49:12 PM CDT
Wednesday, May 27, 2015

spacer image
Workers Section Header Workers Logo

Preferred Worker Program

Information For Workers Employer List Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Preferred Worker Program Brochure Physical Demand Information Feedback form
Online Worker Registration Preferred Worker Registration Employment Links
Job Seeking Workshops    

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Q:  I have lost my Preferred Worker Card. Am I able to get a new card issued to me?
A:  Yes. Contact the Preferred Worker Program Coordinator by mail or e-mail your request to wsipworker@nd.gov. We will issue a new card within a couple days of your request. However, receiving a new card will not extend the eligibility period.

Q:  If I am approved for the Preferred Worker Program and become a participant, do I have to use these benefits or tell my employer that I am a Preferred Worker?
A:  If you want to use the benefits the program offers, you will need to fill out your Preferred Worker Identification Card with your employer. If, for some reason, you choose not to use these benefits after becoming enrolled in the program, you do not have to use them. You do not have to let your employer know that you are a Preferred Worker either. The choice is yours.

Q:  I haven't had to look for a job in a long time. Can the Preferred Worker Program help me with my job seeking skills?
A:  Yes, we do offer services that may help you. On our web site, you will find related links to job fairs, job openings and job services. Our web site also has information on job seeking workshops coming up in various areas of North Dakota. Please note that the Preferred Worker Program cannot directly place you into a specific job.

Q:  I am going to be working at a job in Minnesota this summer. Can I use the Preferred Worker Program benefits out-of-state?
A:  Possibly, if your employer has an account with WSI that covers employees that work out of state.

Q:  I found a job that I think could be a good match. My employer thinks it is a possibility, but isn't quite sure if it will work out. Can the Preferred Worker Program help with this?
A:  Yes. The Preferred Worker Program will send someone out to perform a worksite analysis (upon request) to determine appropriate job placement. We can make suggestions, but the decision will ultimately be between you and your employer.

Q:  Can the Preferred Worker Program benefits be used for part-time employment?
A:  Yes. Benefits are available for workers who are part-time, temporary, or full-time.

Q:  How is the Preferred Worker Program funded?
A:  It is funded by what is known as the WSI general fund. This is a fund established to absorb charges not charged to the employer's account.

Q:  An employer would like to hire me but, with my history of injuries, he states he cannot take the risk. How can the Preferred Worker Program help in this situation?
A:  This is the very situation for which the program was designed. Probably the best incentive for the employer in this particular case is the claim costs reimbursement. You need to express the importance of this to your employer. Also stress the importance of the premium exemption. For some employers, depending on the type of work, this can be very beneficial. Lastly, you need to become an advocate for yourself. Ask the employer if you can try out the job to see if it is a match. The employer has nothing to lose and possibly may gain a new worker.

Q:  Can WSI assist me with relocation expenses if I secure employment elsewhere?
A:  Yes. The Preferred Worker Program may provide relocation assistance to move your household where you have actually located work and if the distance is greater than 35 miles from your primary residence.

spacer image

Back to Top 

Employers | Workers | Medical Providers | Safety | Online Services | Fraud Awareness | Forms/Library 
Home | Contact Us | About Us | News | Careers | Calendar | Free e-Newsletter | Links | Site Map

© 2013 Workforce Safety & Insurance | comments: wsiwebmaster@nd.gov

Section 508 Accessibility Link    CSS Validation Link