Vocational Case Management
If the injured worker is unable to return to the pre-injury employer, vocational rehabilitation services will be provided. Vocational rehabilitation uses a worker’s functional capabilities, education, employment history, experience, and transferable skills to develop a return-to-work plan. Vocational planning may include any vocational or functional testing that is deemed necessary to enhance their skills and improve physical capabilities.
North Dakota Workforce Safety & Insurance (WSI) vocational case managers are located in Bismarck, Minot, Fargo and Grand Forks.
The vocational case managers evaluate the following options in the return to work process:
- Return worker to same position with the same employer
- Return worker to the same occupation with any employer
- Return worker to a modified position with the same employer
- Return worker to a modified or alternative occupation with any employer
- Return worker to an occupation within the local job pool of the area in which the worker was living at the date of injury or of the employee’s current address which is suited to the employee’s education, experience, and marketable skills
- Return worker to an occupation in the statewide job pool which is suited to the employee’s education, experience, and marketable skills
- Retrain the worker of 104 weeks or less